Ten-cent Pill Cuts Your
Risk of Cancer in Half
January 25th, 2012 by Holly Cornish
Dozens of scientists have produced study results to confirm that a simple mineral found in the dirt is a powerful, all-natural answer to cancer. I just checked on the Internet and you can easily get it in supplement form for about ten cents a pill.
Its cancer-fighting power is truly awesome. If you take it regularly for years you can expect your danger of getting cancer to go down by about half. But, as usual, the medical establishment has gone all out to squash the evidence. Let’s take a look. . .
Continued below. . .
End Those “Senior Moments” For Good!
Can’t find your car keys for the umpteenth time? Misplace your glasses again? Don’t remember names or faces very well? Ever walk into a room and go blank about why you’re there?
Usually we laugh it off as just another “senior moment.”
There’s no question that small lapses in memory and concentration can happen naturally as you get older. They’re embarrassing. They’re frustrating.
But they’re certainly no joke.
The mental lapses you laugh off today might be red alerts of serious brain changes that can steal away your memory and independence tomorrow.
Selenium is one of the basic elements you may have learned about in chemistry or physics class. It’s atomic number 34 on the periodic chart. And because it’s a common element, it’s just about the cheapest anti-cancer pill you can buy. You could say it’s dirt cheap.
If you know anything about alternative health, selenium is probably a household word to you. You know it as a powerful antioxidant that helps purge your body of harmful, cell-damaging substances.
In his 1994 book Alternatives in Cancer Therapy, author and radio host Ross Pelton labeled selenium as “possibly the most powerful anticancer nutrient there is.” I wouldn’t go that far, but there’s no question every single person reading this should take a selenium supplement or make sure to eat selenium-rich foods.
Just a quick glance at the scientific studies on this element will show why some have come to regard selenium as a powerhouse protector…
Could these successes be just a fluke?
In the book Selenium: One Cancer Answer, nutritionist Chris Barr said the first medical application of selenium was documented by Dr. August von Wasserman.
Dr. Wasserman discovered in 1911 that selenite injected into mouse cancer tumors caused them to decompose.
Four years later, Dr. C.H. Walker and Dr. F. Klein caused small lingual (tongue) tumors in cancer patients to shrink and disappear. And by no means was that the end of the research on selenium’s anti-cancer effects…
Consider some highlights in selenium’s long history as a cancer warrior:
- 1935—study on breast cancer patients treated with selenium published in the British Medical Journal
- 1940—Dr. Emmanuel Revici pioneers the use of organic selenium in cancer patients (selenium derived from plant sources) to reduce possible toxicity associated with inorganic forms
- 1949—Drs. Clayton and Baumann first label selenium as a cancer preventative in the medical journal Cancer Research.
- 1957—Dr. Klaus Schwarz at the National Institutes of Health identifies selenium as an essential nutrient for life.
- 1970—Studies conducted by Dr. Gerhard Schrauzer, M.D., Ph.D. produced a 70 percent reduction in breast cancer by adding trace amounts of selenium to the diet. Schrauzer declared that 200 mcg of daily selenium supplements would dramatically reduce the cancer rate.
- 1980s—Dr. Larry Clark, Ph.D. conducted a long-term, double-blind study using 200 mcg daily of selenium on cancer patients; some 10 years later Dr. Clark reported that — compared to the control group –the supplemented group experienced:
- 63 percent reduction in prostate cancer
- 57 percent reduction in colon cancer
- 48 percent reduction in lung cancer
- 50+ percent reduction in all cancers
- 1990s—A1996 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) showed how effective selenium can be in preventing cancer. Dr. Larry Clark of the University of Arizona studied 1,300 older persons and found a 42 percent reduction in cancer among those taking 200 mcg of selenium daily for about seven years compared to those given a placebo. What’s more, cancer deaths for those taking selenium were cut almost in half!
- 2000s—A study of over 1000 healthy males published in the May 2004 Journal of the National Cancer Institute showed that men with high blood levels of selenium were about half as likely to develop advanced prostate cancer as men with lower selenium levels.
And this is just a sample of the positive health results achieved by taking selenium! But don’t think for one minute the medical community jumped for joy at hearing this news…
The typical knee-jerk reaction from
the medical establishment
Remember the amazing cancer reductions JAMA reported from Dr. Clark’s 1980s studies mentioned above? Well, JAMA also published a letter from a medical doctor who criticized the results—simply because Dr. Clark didn’t use a synthetic form of selenium rather than a plant-sourced form!
According to Chris Barr, Dr. Peter Greenwald—then Director of Cancer Prevention for the National Cancer Institute (NCI)—downplayed the study results telling reporters “it’s just one study” and “we don’t recommend supplements.”
NCI later decided to institute a large-scale cancer trial with selenium. It is scheduled for completion and publication by 2016. But Barr said he was certain it wouldn’t achieve good results. Why?
Because instead of using a type of selenium derived from whole foods, NCI is using a pharmaceutically prepared variety that is very low in antioxidant power!
The NCI actually chose to abandon the study in 2009—citing no evidence that synthetic selenium reduced cancer. We recommend selenium supplements whose labels say they are derived from plants or yeast, or that say “selenomethionine,” a form of selenium derived from soybeans. According to Barr, sodium selenite and sodium selenate are inferior forms of selenium, not derived from plant sources.
But you’d best believe NCI wasn’t the only mainstream medical institution trying to discredit selenium as a potential cancer killer…
The FDA was forced to admit it goofed!
Some studies claimed to prove that selenium is a dangerous toxin that CAUSES cancer! Could it be true?
Barr discussed the few incidents and summed them up as follows:
- A French cancer study reporting deaths related to selenium use were due to administration of excessive doses.
- A 1937 American study found that 2 milligrams of sodium selenite per kilogram of body weight could be lethal. This too represents an excessive amount. The recommended therapeutic dose of selenium is 200 mcg per day. A microgram is one-thousandth of a milligram. The 2 milligrams cited in the 1937 study is ten times the recommended dose.
- A 1943 Food and Drug Administration study fed rats a sulfide form of selenium which also contained a pesticide. Because the amounts were more than DOUBLE the amount known to be toxic—it’s little wonder the selenium caused liver tumors in the rats! But get this: In 1957 the FDA declared that selenium is an essential life nutrient. What’s more,the FDA came clean and admitted in two official documents that its own 1943 study was flawed!
The bulk of scientific studies demonstrate that boosting selenium intake also boosts your immune system. By the same token, selenium deficiency can leave you wide open to various forms of cancer.
In addition to preventing the onset of disease, selenium can also slow cancer progression and enhance the effectiveness of chemotherapy and radiation treatments!
You can supplement your daily selenium intake but the best form is ingested from whole foods.
Some of the richest food sources of selenium (in alphabetical order) include:
- Brazil nuts (that’s what I eat — very rich in selenium)
- Cod fish
- Eggs (don’t worry about cholesterol; eating eggs doesn’t increase your cholesterol levels)
- Sunflower seeds
So if you want to protect your body from free radical damage—and stop cancer dead in its tracks—get more organic selenium in your diet. It could wind up being one science lesson that saves your life!