Ketogenic diets require you to cut most starchy carbohydrates and increase your intake of healthy fats and protein.
The diet makes your body enter a state called ketosis, where it burns fat-derived chemicals called ketones in the absence of carbohydrates. The diet is so rich in fats, most people will find it satisfying.
Now, if you’ve been reading this newsletter for long, you know we recommend a low-refined-carb diet for cancer prevention and treatment. And you also know we recommend healthy fats like those from coconut, avocado and nuts. Dramatic new proof of this view now comes from some studies that specifically studied the ketogenic approach. Here’s what they discovered…
Oliver was doomed to die from cancer
But then he found out what to do. . .
Oliver had reached the end of the road in his seven-year fight against cancer. His doctors didn’t think this 32-year-old man would live through the night.
But when I talked to Oliver six years later, he was the picture of health! He got rid of his cancer completely.
Yes, Oliver found the answer — his own cancer miracle.
I sat down with him and his doctor and they told me an incredible story. . . a story that could help save you or someone you love from this dreaded disease.
If you’d like to hear it, click here now.
Since the 1920s, doctors have recommended the ketogenic type of diet for children who suffer with seizures. And many other folks have found this to be an enormously effective way to lose weight fast.
Ketogenic diets can also help:
- Keep your body energized all day
- Manage or prevent Type 2 diabetes
- Stabilize blood sugar levels
Now researchers have discovered that ketogenic diets may also have a profound impact on curbing the growth of cancer cells in your body, too.
Various research groups have investigated this phenomenon. Here are just a couple of the studies that have produced intriguing results:
- Adrienne C. Scheck, PhD led a team of researchers at the Barrow Neurological Institute at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, AZ.In the study, mice with high-level malignant gliomas were either fed a standard or a ketogenic diet. Both groups received radiation therapy.Dr. Scheck’s team discovered that animals fed a ketogenic diet had an increased median survival of approximately five days relative to animals maintained on a standard diet.What’s more, nine of the 11 mice that ate a ketogenic diet and received radiation survived with no signs of tumor recurrence for over 200 days—even after switching back to standard food! In contrast, none of animals eating a standard diet survived more than 33 days.The researchers theorized that the ketogenic diet may reduce growth factor stimulation, thereby preventing tumor growth. Barrow scientists also believe that it may reduce inflammation and edema surrounding the tumors.
- Dr. Dominic D’Agostino, assistant professor at the University of South Florida, worked with a research team to remove carbohydrates from the diets of lab mice. They found that when mice received chemotherapy treatments, the high-fat diet helped them survive highly aggressive, metastatic cancer even better.According to a CBN News report, Dr. D’Agostino has seen similar results in people as well. “I’ve been in correspondence with a number of people,” he said. “At least a dozen over the last year-and-a-half to two years, and all of them are still alive, despite the odds. So this is very encouraging.”
So what’s the secret to successfully fighting cancer with fatty foods?
Curb your carbs…cut your cancer risk…
and improve your health!
You might be aware that just like other cells in your body, cancer cells gobble up sugar to help them metabolize. In fact, cancer cells consume glucose at a far higher rate than do healthy cells.
But when glucose is lacking, other body cells can use ketones as an alternative fuel. Cancer cells CAN’T.
Because ketogenic diets drastically reduce dietary sugars, cancer cells literally starve to death.
Besides producing a breeding ground for cancer, high-carb diets also promote inflammation in your body. This can lead to a host of other health problems including:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Heart disease
According to Dr. D’Agostino, the formula for a ketogenic diet should be about 75% fats, 23% protein and 2% carbohydrates. That’s a very low level of carbohydrates.
And it might be helpful to clarify what kinds of foods should be included in these categories. For example:
- Healthy fats: avocado, butter, coconut and virgin olive oils, eggs, nuts; steer clear of manmade “trans” fats, such as shortening, margarine and hydrogenated oils
- Healthy proteins: grass-fed meats, mackerel, lake trout and salmon; forget about processed meats, like cold cuts and hot dogs that often have carbohydrates added to them.
- Allowable carbohydrates: non-starchy vegetables such as asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, carrots, lettuce, onions, turnips and spinach; avoid high-carbohydrate starchy vegetables like plantains, potatoes, pumpkin, squash, corn and peas.
If any of this looks familiar, it’s because we’ve been recommending the same kind of diet for years, for people who have cancer and want to get rid of it, or who don’t have cancer and want to make sure they stay that way.
The only quibble is that many renowned experts on alternative cancer treatment recommend a diet containing NO animal protein. I think this stricture is harsh and unnecessary. I lean toward more recent findings that moderate consumption of animal protein agrees with some people and disagrees with others. But there isn’t enough evidence to settle the matter.
When choosing nuts, keep in mind that almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, walnuts and other tree nuts are all high in fat. But they contain healthy fats that won’t clog your arteries or raise your cholesterol levels.
What’s more, nuts are an excellent source of nutrition because they’re packed with copper, fiber, folic acid, magnesium, and vitamin E.
They also provide a great source of protein and no carbohydrates. Choose nuts that are raw and unsalted for maximum benefit.
If you choose to follow a ketogenic diet plan, you may find it to be effective at curbing sugar cravings…energizing your whole body…and keeping cancer cells at bay for years to come.
Another way to prevent and treat cancer is an herb I think nearly everyone overlooks. We covered it in our last issue, but if you missed it then, it’s just below this…
If You Want to Beat Cancer,
Maybe You’re Eating the Wrong Part
of the Olive Tree!
I love olives and I probably go through at least a jar per week. And I use a lot of olive oil, too. But it turns out the best part of the olive tree for beating cancer is something else altogether. Keep reading and I’ll explain…
Why are these doctors
This video is not for the faint of heart.
These recently discovered details are gruesome…but they change everything we know about colonoscopies.
And many doctors will not reveal this information to their patients. Why? Because they can’t stand to part with the $7,000 (or more) price tags.
Just watch one minute of this presentation and you’ll understand–canceling your next colonoscopy could be the best decision you’ve ever made for your health.
When you’re ready–visit here.
If you’re 50, and especially if you’re over 65–you must watch this presentation. This new information regarding colonoscopies could save your life.
It’s not that olives lack for attention. The olive branch is a symbol of peace. Olive wood is valued in cabinet-making. Olive oil lowers blood pressure and decreases the risk of heart disease. Medical journalist Dr. Morton Walker has even called the olive tree one of man’s best friends, right up there with the domesticated dog.
If that sounds like too much praise, consider that people who live in the Mediterranean region have half the risk of cancer we suffer from in the U.S. … and they consume roughly 20 times more olive oil than Americans. Most observers think it’s no coincidence, and that’s one reason you (like most people concerned about good health) have probably heard about the Mediterranean diet.
Olive oil certainly has many health-delivering polyphenols, even though processing the olive fruit into oil tends to remove several of the active polyphenol properties.
But it’s the leaves that pack the most punch. The powdered extract of olive leaves outshines all the benefits I’ve just mentioned. Olive leaf extract is known to flat-out kill viruses and just about every other type of disease-causing organism. And besides killing microbes, the leaf extract boasts powerful anti-tumor properties. It can legitimately be seen as a cancer treatment – possibly an important one.
Why olive leaf extract deserves so much buzz
Medicinal use of the olive leaf dates back 6,000 years. Even Hippocrates, the “father of medicine,” was known to prescribe concentrated olive leaf extract for a multitude of conditions. The benefits of olive leaf extract include the ability to:
- Strengthen the immune system
- Prevent viral diseases like the flu
- Relieve sore throats, sinusitis, and pneumonia
- Effectively treat common complaints like arthritis, psoriasis, chronic fatigue syndrome, and even colds
- Change the pathway of HIV-type infections, potentially even reversing the condition
- Inhibit osteoporosis
- Help you shed fat
- Guard against cognitive decline
That’s primarily because olive leaf extract is loaded with antioxidants that protect your body from nasty free radicals—the kind that promote disease and premature aging. Two olive leaf antioxidants worth noting are resveratrol – associated in most people’s minds with red wine — and tyrosol. But the truly effective heroes of olive leaf extract are oleuropein and hydroxytrosol.
Hydroxytrosol itself can absorb free radicals at ten times the capacity of green tea, and 400 times the ability of vitamin C.
But oleuropein is the true champ. Among other things, this compound increases the formation of osteoblasts (thus lowering your risk for osteoporosis) and stimulates your thyroid, making it easier to shed unwanted pounds and skirt obesity-related health conditions. Even better, it has a drastic effect on cancer cells.
Oleuropein: A well-kept secret for fighting cancer
Oleuropein is the compound that creates the distinctive tangy, almost bitter flavor in extra virgin olive oils. This potent antioxidant is produced in abundance both in the leaves of the olive tree and in the olive fruit itself. Fortunately for us, a special processing technique makes it possible to extract a stable, standardized form of oleuropein—meaning you don’t have to consume large amounts of olive oil to enjoy the benefits of this substance.
Scientists have discovered that olive leaf extract stuns or kills off pathogens by interrupting their activity. And with pathogens (basically disease-causing agents) stopped dead in their tracks, the immune system is able to rebuild and take over.
In fact, an August 2003 issue of Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications reported extreme tumor regression in mice after receiving oleuropein for between nine and 12 days.
Other studies show that oleuropein helps fight cancer formation at its earliest stages by significantly reducing free radicals. It also inhibits DNA damage that results from reactive oxygen species, i.e. free radicals. DNA damage is the first step in developing malignant cells.
Of course, don’t forget that olive extract supports your immune system, further improving your body’s ability to fight diseases like cancer.
Here are even more ways oleuropein helps fight cancer:
- It prevents inflammation, which is a key player in tumor growth
- It halts the production of enzymes needed by cancer cells to invade healthy tissues and spread throughout the body
- When it comes to breast cancer cells, oleuropein makes it harder for cancerous cells to respond to estrogen (the hormone that helps certain types of breast cancer cells thrive)
These claims are supported by several laboratory and animal studies that show oleuropein reduces the rate of occurrence and spread of certain cancers. These include breast, liver, bladder, brain, head and neck, prostate, and skin cancers, along with leukemia.
Easy to access with no side effects …
the perfect alternative cancer treatment
Another major bonus to olive leaf extract? No side effects.
You can get olive leaf extract in the form of capsules or tablets from health food stores. The higher the concentration of oleuropein, the more effective it’s believed to be.
Dr. Morton Walker, who wrote a book on the therapeutic benefits of olive leaf extract, recommends a concentration minimum of 6 percent. And most health professionals recommend taking one or two capsules daily that give you a total of 250 to 500 milligrams.
It’s always a good idea to consult with your own natural health practitioner about dosage. And keep in mind, you shouldn’t take olive leaf extract if you’re already taking antibiotics, statin drugs, diabetic drugs, or any fungus or mold medicines.
Also, never (or almost never) depend on just one cancer treatment. The great thing about alternative cancer treatments is that, with few exceptions, you can make use of a great many of them at once. Other than the pharmaceutical drugs just listed, as far as I know olive leaf extract can be combined with almost anything, with no risk of harm.
References for 1st article:
Johnson, L. 2013. Starving Cancer: Ketogenic Diet a Key to Recovery. CBN News: Health and Science. Retrieved from http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscience/2012/december/starving-cancer-